Due: Friday, Oct. 16 at 5 p.m.
Length: 750-1,000 words plus at least three images
Submission: Write the analysis on your Google Doc and place the images there.
Format: Answer the questions at the end of the document in your analysis.
Drawing on concepts from the Wells readings and discussion in class to analyze the website: Hand Up.
“Our charitable giving platform provides donors with a new, simple and direct way to impact the lives of their homeless neighbors and other low-income locals. HandUp connects these populations to case workers at some of the most well-respected social service organizations in the nation for further assistance. With resources and words of support, our community of donors also strengthen safety nets that our members can call upon in times of need.”
Your response should be no longer than 1,000 words, which is not a lot to explain concepts and provide examples. So make sure your writing is crisp and to the point. Also, provide images that illustrate your points.
Questions: (You could answer these in order with the question in bold or answer them as an essay – as one long answer.)
• What is the purpose/history of the group? What problem are they trying to solve?
• How does the site appeal to an “actualizing citizen” based on the chart in Wells book?
• How might an organization aimed at “dutiful citizens” do this?
• What are the transaction costs?
• How does the organization leverage affordances?
• How do they build communicative relationships?
• How does the site/organization perform based on this formula?
Your grade will be based on the following:
• Did you demonstrate an understanding of the concepts employed in the analysis (transaction costs, communicative relationships etc.)
• Did your analysis show an understanding of the transition of civic organizations and from primarily being aimed at “dutiful citizens” to “actualizing citizens”?
• Did you fully explain and apply the formula above?
• Clear, concise writing
• The inclusion of images
95 – You answered the questions and applied the formula clearly and compellingly with clear examples and images to illustrate those examples.
85 – You answered the questions and applied the formula but you seem slightly confused about the concepts or the formula.
75 – You answered most of the questions, but you provided very little evidence from the site to help explain your answers.
65 – You addressed only one or two of the questions above.
0 – You did not do the mid-term by the deadline.