• Number each response with the number corresponding to that day on the schedule.
• A summary of the major ideas presented in the text (this should be 200-400 words).
• One quote from the text (the most interesting/alarming/compelling/confusing—your choice).
• Brief definitions of key terms that are listed in the under that reading on the schedule. These should be defined within the context of the reading. “Medium,” for example, has many meanings, but it means something specific in McLuhan’s The Medium is the Message.
• Two discussion questions pulled from the text. These should be “how” or “why” types of questions that can’t be easily answered “yes” or “no.”
You should complete these responses for any assigned reading. The deadline for the response is two hours before class. Any response completed after that time will not be accepted. These responses will help shape class discussion so the deadline is firm and enforcement is unwavering.
Reading notes count considerably toward your final grade. They are assessed as: “2” – your engaged all of the readings and all of the parts of the notes; “1” you engaged some of the readings or some of the sections; “0” you didn’t submit anything or you’re trying to bullshit me.